Wednesday, July 1, 2009

(Wo)Man in the Mirror

I know I'm a little slow to jump on the blogger MJ bandwagon (and I actually didn't think I would find any funemployment relevance), but during a particularly exciting dish washing session today (I get my excitement where and when I can), this came on my itunes and I found myself listening even more closely to the lyrics than ever before.

No matter how you feel about his personal life, there's no denying this guy could rock a pop song like no one's business.

"Man In The Mirror"

Gotta make a change
For once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right

As I turned up the collar on
A favorite winter coat
This wind is blowin' my mind
I see the kids in the street
With not enough to eat
Who am I to be blind
Pretending not to see their needs

A summer's disregard
A broken bottle top
And a one man's soul
They follow each other
On the wind ya' know
'Cause they got nowhere to go
That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change

I've been a victim of
A selfish kinda love
It's time that I realize
There are some with no home
Not a nickel to loan
Could it be really pretending that they're not alone

A willow deeply scarred
Somebody's broken heart
And a washed out dream
(Washed out dream)
They follow the pattern of the wind ya' see
'Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me


Complete lyrics here.
Video of a live performance here.



image courtsey: Getty Images
lyrics courtsey: elyrics.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment